Sunday, June 30, 2013

Danny Ching: The Quiet Champion | SUP Magazine

“We’ll meet you in the water,” Danny Ching tells me over the phone after giving me directions to his local surf spot. “You’ve got a SUP?”

 “Yeah, I’ll be right there,” I reassure him, turning on to the Pacific Coast Highway.

“Good,” he says. “You just might get to experience some L.A. localism.” I can almost see him smiling through the phone.


The towering cliffs fall from the sky into the sea. McMansions decorate the bluff while the ocean crashes into the rocks with a ruggedness that belies this urban locale hidden on the other side of Crenshaw Boulevard, only miles from the grime of Los Angeles. I trudge down the trail scanning for Ching in the break. All the surfers are sitting and I start to wonder if I’m in the right spot. I scan the lineup again and suddenly a SUP surfer smoothly snaps off the top on his backhand. That’s got to be him.

 A guy getting out of the water looks at my board. “Some dude on a standup board is absolutely ripping out there,” he says.  Read more; Danny Ching: The Quiet Champion | SUP Magazine

No comments:

Ground Swell, The Other Side of Fear

  Experience the fear and inner turmoil behind surfing the world’s biggest waves. Monster Energy is proud to announce the upcoming theatrica...