Thursday, August 8, 2013

Volvo Ocean Race | “The race will always be in my heart” – Briand

Christine Briand is a three-time world sailing champion yet nothing can compare to her experiences in the Volvo Ocean Race with EF Education and Amer Sports Too. The French sailor still loves a race that taught her plenty about herself, and is eager to see women racing against the world's best when Team SCA take to the start line in October 2014.

Christine Briand driving on EF Education at the start of Leg 8, from Annapolis, USA to La Rochelle, France of the Whitbread Round the World Race for the Volvo Trophy 1997-98.

“When I was younger I wanted to be French champion and I did it," says Briand. "I wanted to be world champion and I did it. I wanted to go to the Olympic Games but didn’t manage to get there. And I wanted to sail the Whitbread.”

Christine Briand’s fourth wish became reality when she joined EF Education in 1997-98 and Amer Sports Too for a couple of legs in 2001-02.

“It’s an extraordinary sporting race and an extraordinary human race,” she says. “I learnt about myself and my behaviour within a group including English speaking people. It’s one of my best memories, an Everest of sailing. I was delighted to meet most of the EF Education team again on board Amer Sports Too.”

But as much as Briand bonded with the women on both boats, she took some convincing that an all-female crew is the best way to go.

“To be honest, I first thought it was a shame to have female-only races. I found it slightly discriminative and I thought that dinghy sailing was great when sailing with both sexes. I've changed my mind since then because it has allowed a lot of women sailors to reach the highest level.

“I agree with a women’s team only if they can race against the best.”

She also differentiates between women and men’s sensibilities on board. “Women’s psychology is unlike men’s. I understood that during the Volvo. The guys can work together in a purely professional way and not speak to each other once ashore. Girls, however, need a bit of an affective bond…

"It’s more complicated. For a women's team to sail well, the girls need to be professional and get along well. I struggle to sail if I don’t like my team mates.”

Briand knows very well what is expected of Team SCA, the 100% female team entering the Volvo Ocean Race 2014-15.

“SCA’s participation is a great news. I’d love to sail the race again but it’s very tough physically. Steering these boats is an absolute pleasure. I remember superb moments. The race will always be in my heart.”

No comments:

Ground Swell, The Other Side of Fear

  Experience the fear and inner turmoil behind surfing the world’s biggest waves. Monster Energy is proud to announce the upcoming theatrica...